Best Interests of the Child in Custody Cases
Qualified St. Louis Child Custody Attorneys
When a couple is going through a divorce in St. Louis and they have children, determining child custody is probably one of the biggest decisions they will have to face. It is the ultimate goal of every child custody and visitation schedule to make sure that the children’s well-being is prioritized, allowing them to develop in a safe and happy environment. This is commonly referred to as the “best interests” of the child or children involved.
If you are going through a divorce or a custody battle, it is important to have a compassionate, yet relentless St. Louis divorce lawyer who will fight for you. Pedano, O'Shea, McGavic & Hogenmiller, LLC believe in providing affordable legal representation to individuals and families throughout the St. Louis area.
Call to schedule a free consultation with our family law firm in Missouri today.
What Factors Are Used in Looking at the Child’s Best Interests?
While the factors involved in determining their best interest vary based on each unique custody situation, there are certain items that will almost always be considered, including:
- The wishes of both parents in relation to their proposed custody arrangement and parenting plan
- The child’s need for meaningful & consistent relationships with both parents, as well as the willingness and capability of both parents to perform their function as mother and father
- Whichever parent is going to allow the child to maintain continuous and significant contact with the other parent
- The interrelationships and interactions the child has with not only their parents, but also their siblings and anyone else who may affect their best interests
- The child’s adjustment to their existing home, community involvement, and school
- Either parent’s desire to relocate the primary residence of the child
- Mental and physical health of all people involved. This includes patterns of domestic violence that will be taken into account when determining a custody arrangement that best protects the child from harm.
- The child’s wishes as to which parent they would like to live with.
Typically the court will take all of these factors and more into consideration before coming up with the right solution for your particular family. In order to protect your child and make sure that the outcome is positive for all involved, retain a St. Louis child custody attorney.
Dedicated to Helping Families in Chesterfield & St. Louis
At Pedano, O'Shea, McGavic & Hogenmiller, LLC we do not use cookie cutter approaches in handling the sensitive nature of our client’s child custody cases. We recognize that this is not only a sensitive issue, but it also has ramifications that will likely last until your child moves out from under the custody of you or your ex.
Let us work with you, providing personalized attention throughout the duration of your case. We offer a free case evaluation to make the process even easier on you and your family.
Speak with our St. Louis child custody lawyers today for the representation you deserve.